‘Where have you been?’ you’re almost certainly not wondering.
Look, I know it’s been over a month since my last post, but it’s not for the want of trying. Let me assure you, I haven’t been idle.
Although not for the want of trying.
So here are ten perfectly good reasons – not excuses, oh dear me, no – why it’s been bleak midwinter for the past few weeks in this tiny corner of the internet:
- The festive season. We had family staying with us for ten days over Christmas and New Year. That was lovely of course, but I was more or less fully occupied during this time in running down my wine supplies (with no shortage of willing helpers, I might add).
- And watching ‘Home Alone’ three days running.
- And picking up stray bits of Lego.
- On the basis that a bad workman always blames his tools, I should also point out that my ageing laptop has been getting increasingly recalcitrant and reluctant to carry out even mundane tasks other than slowly and grudgingly. So a bit like me, really.
However, this is being written on the shiny new desktop that I’ve been waiting for – so that’s another reason for prevarication eliminated.
- The weather’s been a bit funny.
- Couldn’t be arsed.
- Writer’s block.
- The dog ate my commonplace book (spoiler alert: I haven’t got a dog; or a commonplace book. Although I am quite common.)
- More seriously – don’t worry; normal service will be resumed almost immediately – I’ve been spending a lot more time with my other blog – you know, the one with the pretty pictures. In fact, since my previous outing here, I’ve put up no fewer than twenty-two photographic posts over at the other place. Some of them have even attracted favourable comment in a small way – like this one, a mouse’s eye view of the door of Chartres Cathedral:
- However, the main reason for absence of output is a lack of decent prompts. You can’t expect me to think up things to write about all on my own and mine host hasn’t really been offering rich pickings recently. I mean, really: Preferred mode of transport? Top five places I’ve always wanted to visit? Describe your perfect rainy afternoon? C’mon WordPress, what do I pay you for?….oh.
Maybe I should write a ’round-up’ post about egregiously daft prompts.§
Or have an original idea – just for once.
§ Watch this space